MIDIcar – independent, easy to use MIDI player/recorder

Moderatoren: Sleeπ, andymanone

andymanone
Re: MIDIcar – independent, easy to use MIDI player/recorder

Beitrag von andymanone »

pancio hat geschrieben:
22.12.2022 20:48
Hello all,

Thanks Marius for interesting with MIDIcar.and thanks andY for your support and involvement... I'm sorry for this situation. I'm not able to make more than a few pieces because of lack of time. I will help with technical knowledge if someone decided to build his own piece or pieces for others. There is no limitation and no restriction for MIDIcar. I'm willing to spend time with new projects rather than assembly more pieces.. but I may promise, 10-15 MC will be made by my colleague Kkrys and will available on the market early January. I hope!

Little announce according MCplayer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95PjqzHXih0

Just one more notice... MIDIcar PBI version is capable to play with SIDE2, IDE+ or AVGcart together! :-)

signal-2022-12-14-133310.jpeg

Regards,
pancio
Hi Pancio,
yes I understand...

Is it possible maybe, to reserve or pre-order one for me at Kkrys?

Possibly you can then also think about how you can build a production line in the future, if necessary, without you have to assemble it yourself...
I think the interest for MidiCar is very big in the community 8-) !

Cheers,
andY
Ressortleiter Hardware - Save the past and use the future!© andYManOne / Demozoo / Youtube

marius

Beitrag von marius »

OH I really hope this amazing device will be produced in a quite a quantity. I am a professional musician and educator and I have been a happy user of atari 8bit for ages. I always linked MIDI to my Atari ST, but I haven't owned an Atari ST for at least 14 years now.

I would really love to investigate whether I could use the Atari 8bit for some cool music projects. And when I like hardware I also would like to buy a few spares.

So if there are hardware people here who can build this amazing piece of hardware, I would be more than happy to buy a few to get sooner to a 'break even point'.

marius

Beitrag von marius »

andymanone hat geschrieben:
22.12.2022 21:05
Is it possible maybe, to reserve or pre-order one for me at Kkrys?

Possibly you can then also think about how you can build a production line in the future, if necessary, without you have to assemble it yourself...
I think the interest for MidiCar is very big in the community 8-) !

Cheers,
andY
Yes I am totally interested too. Perhaps the friend from Greece "Panos" could build these devices? He did a wonderful remake of the Turbo Freezer as well in the past.

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

marius hat geschrieben:
22.12.2022 23:50
OH I really hope this amazing device will be produced in a quite a quantity. I am a professional musician and educator and I have been a happy user of atari 8bit for ages. I always linked MIDI to my Atari ST, but I haven't owned an Atari ST for at least 14 years now.

I would really love to investigate whether I could use the Atari 8bit for some cool music projects. And when I like hardware I also would like to buy a few spares.

So if there are hardware people here who can build this amazing piece of hardware, I would be more than happy to buy a few to get sooner to a 'break even point'.
Good to know.. so you are best candidate to be composer MIDI files on Atari :-)

Which Atari do you have? XL or XE?

Regards,
pancio

https://systemembedded.eu
A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

marius

Beitrag von marius »

pancio hat geschrieben:
23.12.2022 12:50
Good to know.. so you are best candidate to be composer MIDI files on Atari :-)

Which Atari do you have? XL or XE?

Regards,
Oh yes. Without any trouble. So that is why I would like to see a real sequencer happening on Atari 8bit.

Since this is a PBI MIDI device, I was wondering is there a Input/Output possible at the same time? Technically I mean. Would it be possible to let the Atari send data to a Midi channel and meanwhile record another channel? I know the software might not be able doing it, but would it be possible with the hardware?

Or perhaps (if it is not possible with the MIDI ports) sending data to the Sound chip and recording Data from the MIDI IN?

I would like to have a real sequencer. Like a VERY LITE version of Cubase or something like that. Where you could record a piano track, and then record a bass track and then a drum track and then a saxophone track and so on.

If the hardware can do it, but the software can't... I might be interested in writing such a thing myself, or at least try to write it. Very interesting possibilities. That is why I would like to purchase AT LEAST 5 of those MIDI carts you are creating.

I have uncountable atari 8bit machines. I have many, XE and XL.... My favorite are my 800xl's but for me it is no problem to use XE. Love XE too :D

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Hi Marius,

At first, you should know - PBI version is brand new and still without case. In my opinion PBI version is more comfortable and stable. But general, both CART/ECI and PBI versions are pretty the same...
According to features... there is no possible to use MIDIcar in duplex mode because MC6850 has only one common send/receive register. I'm thinking about using DACIA chip (R65C52) but I'm not sure it's required by more than a few people :-) we will see. Of course sequencer taking data from MIDI IN is possible - I did some tests in the past. I'm talking with PeBe - author of best MIDIcar player (!) I'll bring him AKAI MPK225 to near LAST ATARI Party on the begging of the January, so everything is possible :-)

I'm really happy that someone want to use z MIDIcar for something other than only listening music. Please follow topic... additional you may catch me on private or mail - I'll try arrange you with my colleague which is capable to do a few items for you...

Best Regards,
pancio
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

CharlieChaplin

Beitrag von CharlieChaplin »

Hello Pancio,

I am also very interested in MidiCAR PBI for my Atari 800XL computers. So please reserve at least one piece for me.

Greetings, CharlieChaplin

Mathy

Beitrag von Mathy »

Hello Pancio

pancio hat geschrieben:
25.12.2022 18:07
.... I'm not sure it's required by more than a few people :-)
If a piece of hardware doesn't have a certain feature, that feature can not be used. Sounds obvious, I know. But it's better to have a feature that only a handful of people need, than not have a feature at all. It's a bit like 1MB memory upgrades: "We don't need 1MB upgrades because there is no software for it" and "We don't need software to support 1MB upgrades, because nobody has 1Mb upgrades". Please put the feature Marius wants, in the hardware.

Sincerely

Mathy
Wer oder was hat denn da geblitzt?

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Hi Mathy,

I thought close this topic definitely when I'll designed NewDevice version but this one is still as early bird... Additionally, to be compliant with old version I thought that only CART version should be made as last.. eventually PBI version shall be redesigned for Atari 1090 because it's easy to do...

many ideas.. not so much time!

Regards,
pancio
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

Lastic

Beitrag von Lastic »

CharlieChaplin hat geschrieben:
25.12.2022 22:39
Hello Pancio,

I am also very interested in MidiCAR PBI for my Atari 800XL computers. So please reserve at least one piece for me.

Greetings, CharlieChaplin
Same here also interested in a PBI version for my 600XL.

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Hi Lastic,

Thanks for interesting. PBI version is still without case - I've some unplanned delay because of components lead. I'm using it without case at this moment (see black distance between PCB, surface and X2GS):
IMG_20230125_091515244_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230125_091519856_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230125_091609318.jpg
IMG_20230125_091625114_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230125_091638381.jpg
Please catch me on PM or email if you still want it :-)

Best Regards,
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

HI,

Nice to inform you that the issue on MIDIcar working with SIDEx, AVGCART and IDE+ has resolved. Now MIDIcar working fine with any cartridge and others CART/ECI interface. The bug was hidden on circuit - not expected wiring between RD4 and RD5 signals - That's the reason why some cartridges doesn't start properly. So, if someone has MIDIcar from 1.0 to 1.0.4 release, should cut one wiring on the bottom side of PCB:
MIDIcar - cart socket.png
MIDIcar wiring to cut.png
MIDIcar wiring to cut.png (132.47 KiB) 3074 mal betrachtet
I did release 1.0.5 which is free of this issue. You may find it on my page from footer.
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Hi,

Just for fun... my son transcribed Jet Set Willy music into MIDI... have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYdKUeJ__wo

(I attached MIDI as ZIP file because it's not possible to add .mid attachment.)
Dateianhänge
Jet_Set_Willy_transcription_and_arrange_IgorB.mid.zip
(1.5 KiB) 25-mal heruntergeladen
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

andymanone

Beitrag von andymanone »

So,
heute endlich mal Zeit gehabt, das super coole MidiCar-Projekt von Pancio und PeBe mal auszutesten 8-) !

Nach ein paar anfänglichen kleinen Startschwierigkeiten (und Missverständnissen meinerseits ;)) läufts jetzt super 8-)!
Hab gleich mal mit meiner Lieblingsserie getestet und dann kurz nochmal das flauschige Rüsseltier anspielen lassen.
(Kleiner Tipp: haben beide was mit Außerirdischen zu tun ;) )

Die Video +Audio-Qualität ist leider ein bisschen lausig (mal eben nur schnell mit ´nem Chinahandy aufgenommen),
(Aber ich kann euch sagen, "Live" klingts um ein Vielfaches besser (und ohne dieses dynamische "Auto Leveling" vom Camera-Mikro und die zirpsigen hohen Frequenzen :roll:))

Gtx.,
andY
Midicar_test.JPG
Midicar_first_try.mp4
(31.58 MiB) 62-mal heruntergeladen
Ressortleiter Hardware - Save the past and use the future!© andYManOne / Demozoo / Youtube

marius

Beitrag von marius »

Hi all,

In the near future I will write a cool article about this hardware and software. I ordered the MidiCar from Pancio and today it arrived. Whilst writing this article currently a MIDI file is playing "Don't Speak - No Doubt" ... It simply plays from the built in S2 sound module on the board. I am surprised by the more than decent quality of the samples of the S2 sound module.

I am right now not testing the hardware serious enough to be able to write anything useful about it. The only thing I can write right now, is that all works very well and even on my 800xl (with turbofreezer, the MIDIcar and IDE+ all connected together) it did not give a single problem. The software is pretty cool. It plays the Midifiles like on a spotify playlist haha. How cool is this? There are so many fabulous Midi files around (yes I admit there do exist also a lot of very bad MIDI files) which turns the Atari 8bit in a really cool jukebox for background music here in my hobby room.

But as said earlier I did not even buy this hardware for this purpose. I want to design new software for it in the future. I am thinking of some music-educational software or perhaps even a very light version of a real MIDI sequencer.

Anyway from the bottom of my heart: Pancio, you created something that I was looking for, for a very long time. I always loved my Atari ST for the MIDI port, and now it seems the little Atari has this addition too.

Let's hope for more good software. I will do more writing about it soon.

Thanks!
Marius

andymanone

Beitrag von andymanone »

Hi Marius,
I'm glad to hear that 8-) !

Maybe you might want to contact Pancio and PeBe, they are already working
on a MIDI sequencer for the A8 themselves and are still looking for support!
Maybe it would be useful if the skills could be combined.

Best regards,
André

marius

Beitrag von marius »

I have been playing a few days with the Midi player software and the MidiCar and I must say I am still honestly impressed after these days of testing.

What a great device, and this replay software is really good. All the MIDI files I have tested so far do work perfectly. The sound is amazing and it is unbelievable how cool it is to hear your little Atari 8bit play this music. The VU-meters on the Channels are pretty cool too and the features of the software are much more than one would expect from little atari.

At this moment I have only been using this setup as a jukebox and with good quality MIDI files (make sure you have enough extended RAM in the Atari) the music is good enough to make it work as real jukebox for cool background (or foreground) music.

Although I will probably eventually come with a few feature requests, at this moment I have none.

Well one little thing. Since this software is meant to run for a while, I am wondering if the directory text and the logo text won't burn in my screen eventually. I have not a solution for that so far, but that is the only thing I was thinking of right now.

Very promising project. Thank you Pancio, Pebe and all people involved in this. I can imagine many people will be interested in this device. Perhaps create a little Ad?
When people hear how amazing the MIDI files sound, I am sure many people feel the need to obtain at least one of these MidiCARs!

Mathy

Beitrag von Mathy »

Hello Pancio

How far along is the development of the MIDIcar? Is it fully PBI compatible? Willing to share the PBI with other devices?

Sincerely

Mathy

PS same question for your other hardware devices that use the PBI.

marius

Beitrag von marius »

hi Mathy,

Not sure whether I can answer this, but I have connected the MidiCar to my 800XL and there is also a Turbo Freezer 2011 and an IDE+ 2.0 connected to it. It all works pretty well together. I can read the MIDI files from my PBI harddrive and play them on the MIDICar. You can specify the hardware address of the interface using jumpers. I am not sure whether the MidiCar has a PBI ID# ... I think not, just like the Freezer also has no PBI ID.

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Mathy hat geschrieben:
03.03.2023 01:13
Hello Pancio

How far along is the development of the MIDIcar? Is it fully PBI compatible? Willing to share the PBI with other devices?

Sincerely

Mathy

PS same question for your other hardware devices that use the PBI.
Hi Mathy,

MIDIcar PBI version is fully compatible with CART/ECI - there is no NEV_DEVICE ID used but MC might cooperate with other PBI device by pass-thru 50 pin connector edge. I'm thinking on idea how to modify existing PCB to be more flexible (e.g. for 600XL and cables conflict) - probably I decide to use vertically PCB - will see.

Best Regards,
pancio
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

I would like to present new MCPlayer version 1.5.7 which has fixed reset MIDI devices procedure... Thanks to PeBe for that!
Dateianhänge
mcp157.bundle.with.MIDICar.Driver.zip
(12.11 KiB) 23-mal heruntergeladen
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

The newest MCP v1.5.8 can be use with Remote Control RC5 and can set Master Volume and Equalizer :-)

Letter '['and ']' - Master Volume or equalizer value
Letter 'E' - equalizer type

Unfortunately, equalizer work fine only on S2 module, PeBe thinking to add it for other MIDI modules...

https://github.com/GSoftwareDevelopment ... r/releases
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Just a few news from MIDIcar's project:

- PeBe working on project with MCP Remote: https://github.com/GSoftwareDevelopment ... yer-Remote
- additional equipment for MC like OLED Display will be available soon:
untitled.mp4
(3.42 MiB) 27-mal heruntergeladen
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

andymanone

Beitrag von andymanone »

pancio hat geschrieben:
30.06.2023 21:48
Just a few news from MIDIcar's project:

- PeBe working on project with MCP Remote: https://github.com/GSoftwareDevelopment ... yer-Remote
- additional equipment for MC like OLED Display will be available soon:
untitled.mp4
Great news! Cool stuff 8-) !!
I am insanely curious about the next steps!

Gtx.,
andY

Mathy

Beitrag von Mathy »

Hello guys

andymanone hat geschrieben:
30.06.2023 22:09
I am insanely curious about the next steps!
Me too!

Sincerely

Mathy

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Slowly.... Friends... :-)

Next step will be related to some new easy concept but I can't say more at this time. It's not revolution but some kind of evolution... so everyone will do something interesting himself ... :-)
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

Hey Pancio:

You once wrote this:
pancio hat geschrieben:
(...) According to features.... there is no possible to use MIDIcar in duplex mode because MC6850 has only one common send/receive register. I'm thinking about using DACIA chip (R65C52) but I'm not sure it's required by more than a few people :-) we will see. (...)
And is it by any chance that the MC6850 works in full duplex, because the transmit and receive registers are, however, two different registers with the fact that for the Atari (that is, the external device) one is visible only when you read (receive) and the other only when you write (transmit) Physically they opt one address in the Atari, but nevertheless two forms of access are, which hardware can take place to two different registers - as in POKEY and SIO.
Theoretically you have to choose which is more important anyway, whether receiving data or transmitting it, because you won't receive and write to the same port at the same time anyway :) Do you understand me the point? :)

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Just a small update from MIDIcar project...

Our colleague KKRYS made very complex and looks good case for Atari 800XL computer:
IMG_20230721_121302936.jpg
IMG_20230721_121307451.jpg
IMG_20230721_121319114_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230721_121543215.jpg
IMG_20230721_121552910.jpg
IMG_20230721_121607299.jpg
IMG_20230721_121630767.jpg
IMG_20230721_121636600.jpg
IMG_20230721_121641018.jpg
IMG_20230721_121646863.jpg
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
19.07.2023 21:24
Hey Pancio:

You once wrote this:
pancio hat geschrieben:
(...) According to features.... there is no possible to use MIDIcar in duplex mode because MC6850 has only one common send/receive register. I'm thinking about using DACIA chip (R65C52) but I'm not sure it's required by more than a few people :-) we will see. (...)
And is it by any chance that the MC6850 works in full duplex, because the transmit and receive registers are, however, two different registers with the fact that for the Atari (that is, the external device) one is visible only when you read (receive) and the other only when you write (transmit) Physically they opt one address in the Atari, but nevertheless two forms of access are, which hardware can take place to two different registers - as in POKEY and SIO.
Theoretically you have to choose which is more important anyway, whether receiving data or transmitting it, because you won't receive and write to the same port at the same time anyway :) Do you understand me the point? :)
I catch your point of view... when I wrote this sentence.. i Didn't check MC6850 possibility. I can imagine that you may use something like this:

Code: Alles auswählen

LDA #DATA
STA MC_TRANSFER_REG
LDA MC_TRANSFER_REG
STA RECEIVE_DATA
It's pretty like full duplex... of course some additional operation like check status in MC6850 is needed (e.g. buffer empty etc). I can imagine that MC_TRANSFER_REG has other value for read and write :-)

Best Regards,
pancio
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

Mathy

Beitrag von Mathy »

Hello Pancio

Damn that looks good!

Are you gonna show this at the Fujiama?

Sincerely

Mathy

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Hi Mathy,

It will be my pleasure to present these on Fujiama...
I may bring a few pieces if anyone is interested as well :-)

Best Regards,
pancio
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

CharlieChaplin

Beitrag von CharlieChaplin »

The case for XL computers looks very good !
So, when can I buy Midicar with XL case ?!?

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Will be available on PTODT's shop very soon... but it's very small series. As I said, I may bring one or two to Fujiama party to avoid delivery cost. Let's inform me if you prefer this approach.

Regards,
pancio
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

Mathy

Beitrag von Mathy »

Hallo Pancio

What would they cost?

Sincerely

Mathy

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

The cost will be around 60 euro + MIDI module (depend from individual choice). Module is not necessary if you have external MIDI device like synthesizer.
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

pancio hat geschrieben:
21.07.2023 18:00
It will be my pleasure to present these on Fujiama...
I may bring a few pieces if anyone is interested as well :-)
Unfortunately I cannot attend Fujijama.

Is the pbi version for XL computers with case already available?

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Yes, PBI version with case is available too.

viewtopic.php?p=16319#p16319

BR
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

Thanks for your reply. Can I order it somewhere?

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

patjomki hat geschrieben:
28.08.2023 22:54
I guess you can order it here:
https://atarifan.pl/produkt/ptodt-midic ... xl-nowosc/

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

Montezuma hat geschrieben:
04.09.2023 23:19
patjomki hat geschrieben:
28.08.2023 22:54
I guess you can order it here:
https://atarifan.pl/produkt/ptodt-midic ... xl-nowosc/
Today I got my s2 card for my midicar I ordered a few days ago so I like to try it but unfortunately there was no documentation provided for midi car.

I downloaded PeBes midicar player bundled with MIDICar driver copied it and a .mid file to a DOS 2 disk but midicar player doesn't even start. There is an error message but I cannot read it because it vanishes too fast.

Can anyone help?

Antworten