MIDICar Player

Moderator: Rockford

PeBe
MIDICar Player

Beitrag von PeBe »

I'm starting this thread because a conversation has developed about MIDICar Player and some of the comments are falling on an innocent device, yes, innocent.
Although it has its shortcomings, which I too notice, most of the faults, unfortunately, lie with MIDICar Player.

If anyone is using this program then please feel free to direct all problems in this thread or, what would be even more advisable, in the repository on GitHub https://github.com/GSoftwareDevelopment/MIDICar-Player.

patjomki
Re: MIDICar Player

Beitrag von patjomki »

The software is running fine with my Midi Car but there are some midi files that are not played perfectly.

Here is an example where some channels are missing.
THUNDER.zip
(13.14 KiB) 27-mal heruntergeladen

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

patjomki hat geschrieben:
09.09.2023 19:00
The software is running fine with my Midi Car but there are some midi files that are not played perfectly.

Here is an example where some channels are missing.

THUNDER.zip
For misplayed MIDs, please very much describe what is happening - slowed playback, bad sounds, etc. What version of MCP is being used - I always have the latest, I would say developer version with me, which I release as working :)

If it's an issue of slowed playback then older versions i.e. <1.6 may have problems with this, as there was a bug with the speed calculation. In the thread about MIDICar (recent posts) I uploaded the developer version in a disk image. It's unofficial, but that's the one I'm working on. Just in case, I'll upload it here, but I don't promise that everything will work in it as in older versions :) you know how it is :D

PS. I'm just playing this track and it seems to sound very good. Check the dev version.

EDIT:
Attached file is an 'unbundled' version of MIDICar Player, i.e. it does not contain a built-in driver.
This version should be run with the switch '/D:MIDICar.DRV /AD580' where 'D580' is the address set on the MIDICar jumpers.

Let me remind that the 'bundle' version can be prepared independently by combining two files (without special combinations)
First is to be the driver file, then the MCP program file (not the 'bundle' - that is, as it is here in the attachment)

Under Linux, I use:

Code: Alles auswählen

cat driver.drv mcp.exe >> mcpdrv.exe'
Under windows:

COPY /B driver.drv + mcp.exe mcpdrv.exe
Dateianhänge
mcp-dev090923.zip
Development version of MIDICar Player 09.09.2023
(13.63 KiB) 32-mal heruntergeladen

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
09.09.2023 19:14
For misplayed MIDs, please very much describe what is happening - slowed playback, bad sounds, etc.
Seem that the bug was between my ears. I can confirm that the above file plays well. Thought a channel was missing but that is not the case.

Apologies! :shock:

Edit: Feature request. Would it be possible to show the played time in minutes and seconds instead of a counter in seconds (and milliseconds) in the lower right corner?

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

patjomki hat geschrieben:
09.09.2023 19:43
Feature request. Would it be possible to show the played time in minutes and seconds instead of a counter in seconds (and milliseconds) in the lower right corner?
You're not the first to request this, and yet there's a problem with it.
You'll have to believe me that I think all the time about how I could solve such a time indicator
---
Everything is trivial when one song tempo is kept. Set, for example, at the beginning and nothing changes. Then you can calculate the number of ticks - because what is shown in the lower right corner are so-called ticks (according to MIDI specifications) - per second and display the time in minutes and seconds relatively nicely. However, when the tempo changes, the period that falls per second also changes. When that period changes, so does the whole count of minutes and seconds
---
A great deal of computation is done on the zero side - this is for speed reasons. It's getting harder and harder to chunk 4 bytes next to each other to add, for example, a temporary value that could be used when the rate changes. And as you can see (4 bytes) are 32-bit operations. Atari doesn't like them ;) because they are slow. Compromises have to be made, and these are difficult.

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

Important note, related to MID files!.

You can find a whole lot of MID files on the internet - that much is known - but, some of them can be problematic to listen to.

The most common problem encountered is wrong track length.
This is not a bug that causes harm in listening, but it does take time. This is caused by end events in MID tracks. These have very large DeltaTime values, resulting in a very long track length overall.
For the moment, the way the length is calculated is very simple, and for the time being, it will remain so.

Another problem I'm aware of is track stratification.
This is where the listening experience can suffer.
The cause is very similar to the above, but much harder to detect, as the high Delta event is inside the track(s).
Very rare, but nevertheless can be encountered.

Errors related to playback speed.
Auditory impressions - extended in time :)
The cause is the simplified MID playback engine. The little Atari is an eight-bit system, and MIDs are very fond of 24- and 32-bit words. Some tempo settings, give an extreme value (very high, or very low) for the main Timer. Since this Timer is based on the POKEY, there will be POKEY imperfections involved, and the POKEY's non-linearity is its biggest drawback. Here, as much as I could manage, I tried to eliminate this non-linearity, but I didn't want to go beyond certain limits, hence.... it may happen that a MID played on an Atari will sound slower or faster than on a PC.
It's worth looking for an alternative MID - there are often such - or trying to adjust the tempo with the '<' and '>' keys.
WARNING! It may happen that this will crash the player!

Complete disaster.
The file is impossible to listen to.
It often happens that the MID file is simply corrupted (for the MIDICar Player).
I won't help here.

Conclusion:
MIDICar Player supports a maximum of 16 MIDI channels. It does not support Ports (multiple MIDI devices) Probably never will.
Three things to keep in mind:
- I have been learning MIDI for a year now. Just thanks to MCP.
- The Atari (small Atari) has a 1.7MHz clock and an average of 4 cycles per command. This computer has what it takes to play MIDs, especially the so-called MID #1 type, where the tracks are divided into independent streams.
- I'm not the best programmer in the world :) and I do all the programming myself, as part of the Fun

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
09.09.2023 20:27

- I'm not the best programmer in the world :) and I do all the programming myself, as part of the Fun
You are!
pancio

https://systemembedded.eu
A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

MIDICar Player dev-140923.
MCP dev 140923.png
MCP dev 140923.png (7.63 KiB) 2573 mal betrachtet
mcp.atr
(130.02 KiB) 38-mal heruntergeladen

Novelties:
  • track time minutes:seconds view (request from @patjomki)
    It wasn't easy, but it worked out. For now, only the time from the beginning of the song is available.
    The 'T' key toggles time presentation modes: Hex MIDI Ticks, Dec MIDI Ticks, Min:Sec (as default) , Off;
  • when you load a song, next to its name (in the status bar) its size in KB appears (request from @Pancio :) )

What's not mentioned
  • Playlists
    By creating a text file with the structure shown below, you can create your own playlist.
    File structure:
    • the file name of the playlist file must have the extension 'PLS'
    • one entry is one line ending in RETURN (the last entry does not have to have an end of line character)
    • No whitespace characters at the beginning of the line - otherwise, the entry will be skipped.
    • Line no longer than 80 characters!!!
    • each line consists of a comma-separated ',' in turn:
      • the file name including the extension, and if the file is in another directory/drive, the full path must be given
      • a long name, consisting only of printing characters:Small, capital letters; digits; punctuation marks (ASCII #32-#127) No invers characters! No longer than 32 characters.
      • There may be blank lines (lone RETURN) - such an entry is disregarded.
  • Support for long track names for the disk directory
    • the name of the file containing the long name information is 'DESCRIPT.ION' This file must be placed in the root directory of the floppy disk, or in a specific directory on the disk.
    • the file structure is identical to that of the playlist
    • there are two syntaxes inserted in the part containing the filename with the extension:
      • any filename starting with a '>' will be visible in the selector as a directory (the appropriate icon and the behaviour of the RETURN key)
      • if a lone asterisk '*' is placed in the last line of the file, this will allow missing entries to be read from the disk directory.
        This may increase the time it takes to load the directory list, as entries are selected for occurrence (eliminating duplicates)
      • The option to load long names can be temporarily disabled by pressing the CONTROL key when accepting a new location (change of drive) or exiting or entering a directory.
      The contents of the playlist files '*.PLS' and 'DESCRIPT.ION' are not checked for file exists!
      Entries will always appear, but misspelled entries will simply not open.
  • Simple view
    This can be achieved by pressing the 'I' key. The selector is then retracted and the music handling closes in the current directory or playlist.
    Passing a parameter, e.g. (SDX system)

-MCP MISSON.MID
    will start the program in just such a Simple view.
  • Equalizer control (DreamBlaster S2, there may be limited functionality in others)
    Use the '[' and ']' keys to adjust the Master Volume.
    The 'E' key will allow you to toggle the equalizer range, and use the '[' and ']' keys to change the settings of a range.
  • Remote Control (with MIDI ReMote only)
    Currently, remote control capability is available ONLY for MIDICar controllers. SIO based controllers are deprived of this functionality (temporarily :) )

A word from me
This 'feature' is very useful for creating personalised MIDI music floppies, or in the case of the SDX system, where you can name directories with clear names and arrange tracks. The order of entries in the 'DESCRIPT.ION' file is also preserved in the selector (the same goes for Playlists) Unfortunately, you have to make your own long name editor.
I make the 'DESCRIPT.ION' file under the ED editor, completely by hand, using the SDX system's 'DIRS' function for large directories, but this still requires a lot of work.

It seems to me that it's worth doing such files on the fly, as it gets messy over time :) If anyone has ideas related to long names then write - we'll consider the pros and cons :)

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
14.09.2023 15:05
MIDICar Player dev-140923.
Today I tried this latest version with my 800XL that is now equipped with a 5V modification at the pbi bus.

While the program is running fine on my 600XL with my 800XL there are some errors.

After loading a midi file the file is not played instead it is immediately "STOPPED". When I try to load the same file again I get an error message "I/O ERROR #97"

Any ideas?

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

Sorry you had to wait :) I already saw yesterday that you had a problem, but it was too late to think anything. I also have another project on tap and now I found a moment.

Quite interesting that on the 600XL it works and on the 800XL there is a problem - well.... we'll try to do something about it.

First the issue of error 97 - it's an internal player error, not an I/O error but.... don't worry :) It's nothing terrible, except maybe that it doesn't work hihi ;)
The player won't load a file that's already loaded and that's how it manifests itself, unfortunately.
I'm curious why it doesn't want to play it(?)
Have you tried, after loading the file, running it with the 'X' key? It's a keyboard shortcut from Play :)
If that doesn't help, please send the MID file, because maybe there's something wrong with it. Also, please state what the configurations of both computers are, how you're running, from what - the more info, the better it will represent the runtime environment.
You can send a private message if you don't want to disclose this information, and openly send the MID file. :)

I'll try to work something out, however it may take a while.

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
23.09.2023 18:51
Sorry you had to wait :) I already saw yesterday that you had a problem, but it was too late to think anything.
No problem at all.

Both computers are equipped the same way. There are only two differences

1. The 800XL has a 5V modification at pbi
2. The 800XL also has a rapidus installed but completely disabled.

Apart from that both computers have vbxe, u1mb, pokeymax3, sophia2 and an avgcart with sio cable equipped.

Configuration:
1088kb Rambo, XL OS 1.3, Atari Basic C (but disabled with option when starting mcp), no SpartaDOS X, VBXE disabled, PBI BIOS disabled, Pokeys Single, Covox disabled, PSG disabled, SID disabled

Pressing X doesn't really help. One or two notes are shown to be played (but I don't hear anything) then the 800XL freezes. 600XL is running fine.

Midifile is the one I already posted thunder.zip few messages above

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

O... I saw Rapidus and I was reminded :)

A friend once tried to fire up MCP with Rapidus installed. He didn't succeed. However, the problem may lie on the MCP side.

Slightly deviating from the topic, there is a patch for IRQ in MCP - it's about a bug in 6502/6502C processor, where when NMI and IRQ interrupts collide, the former is skipped. The patch aims to eliminate this bug programmatically, however.... The processor type is not checked (yet) which results in installing the patch in processors that do not require it (65C02 and 65816)

I compiled a version without the patch
mcp-no-irq-patch.atr
MCP No IRQ Patch
(130.02 KiB) 28-mal heruntergeladen
It is not marked in any way in the program (except today's date).If it works, great. You can do the tests with Rapidus enabled in that case - it ran on the emulator for me, but.... emulator vs real hardware is different :P

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
25.09.2023 13:08
O... I saw Rapidus and I was reminded :)
This version works ways better. It now plays the .mid files on both the 600XL (without rapidus) and the 800XL (with rapidus in both modes rapidus off/rspidus on) without stopping.

The only difference is that on the 600XL the led on MidiCar is blinking and you can actually hear the song while on my 800XL the led isn't blinking and the speakers stay mute.

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

Patiomki hat geschrieben:(...) the 600XL the led on MidiCar is blinking and you can actually hear the song while on my 800XL the led isn't blinking and the speakers stay mute.
On both Atari, do you have MIDICar set the same? Are you referring to the address that the $D580 is running on?

If that address is different on either device then it won't walk on those settings that are in the `MCP.CMD` file.
Open the file in the ED editor (included on the floppy)
Load it with CTRL+L typing MCP.CMD and change the `/AD580` address to the one set on the MIDICar PCB jumpers.

Still a power supply issue, i.e. either the MIDICar is not powered correctly, or .... (worst case scenario) as a result of a badly done power supply, the MIDICar has broken down (let's hope not)

The other option I can't see why it won't play.

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
26.09.2023 14:45
On both Atari, do you have MIDICar set the same?
Well, I only have one MIDICar so every time I test, I switch completely. I plug the same MIDICar into the 800XL, the same AVGCart with the same SIO cable, the same monitors (dual screen setup) with the same speakers, the same power supply. (15 watts, 3 amperes).

The MIDICar driver recognizes MIDICar on both ATARIs but tunes are only to hear on the 600XL.

With my 600XL MIDICar is still running fine so there shouldn't be a problem with the power supply (let alone that MIDICar got destroyed).

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

This will not be a simple process.

Try changing the address of the MIDICar.
Maybe in the $D180 space it will be ok?
Try in high addresses, i.e. $Dx80-$DxE0 - the lower ones are usually occupied by other devices (they were created earlier, so they have the right to have first addresses :) )

Don't forget to change the `MCP.CMD` file ! (see post above) Or if you use SDX then in the `MCP.BAT` file.

Anyway, check only on the non-working computer (800XL)
If it runs on it, check if it runs on the 600XL too.
If it doesn't, look for an address where it runs on both computers.
You should find one where it will be OK.

At this point, only address conflicts come to mind.

patjomki

Beitrag von patjomki »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
26.09.2023 20:35
Anyway, check only on the non-working computer (800XL)
At this point, only address conflicts come to mind.
With this procedure the solution was simple. It hasn't been an address conflict but the 5V modification was only done on Pin47 of the pbi bus (only got the information today).

Due to the fact that my MIDICar came preconfigured with Pin48 I only had to change it to Pin47 and now it works on both the 600XL AND the 800XL. Yippee!

Now for testing the midi in and out ports with my synthi

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

I really love the MIDICar Player.
I do have MIDICar XE from Pancio, but I was very happy to discover that there is a MIDIMate driver available.
This way I can use the player on my 1088XEL with MIDI XEL II and DREAMBLASTER S2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYVlFHROBvE

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

I just realized that the MIDICar Player 1.6a with MIDIMaze driver shows on my 1088XEL only 89K free memory available.
In U1MB menu I enabled 1MB (I flashed an image from FJC containing SDX 4.49e for 1088XEL on U1MB).
Any idea?

[EDIT]
I tried on my XE and:
1) When SDX, PBI and HDD are disabled in U1MB and SDX is enabled in the SIDE2 cart, and I start MPCar Player, it shows 1033 KB free memory
2) When SDX, PBI and HDD are enabled in U1MB and SDX is disabled in the SIDE2 cart, and I start MPCar Player, it shows 89KB free memory
In both cases, I enabled 1MB in U1MB.

Is this a bug ?

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

Does the same thing occur in the DEV version of MCP at your site?

You can download the DEV version from this thread. There are two. One with the IRQ patch, the other without. The patch is applicable for 6502/6502C processors, which have a bug related to IRQ and NMI interrupts. Please see if the memory detection problem also occurs in this version, as the emulator indicates the correct amount of memory.

One more thing.

MCP will not work with the AXLON memory extension!

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
10.10.2023 20:46
The DEV version shows even less memory available (64KB).
PeBe hat geschrieben:
MCP will not work with the AXLON memory extension!
It has nothing to do with AXLON.

Memory detection issue is related to U1MB settings ( http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Ultimate1MB ).
As I mentioned before - if SDX, PBI and HDD is disabled in U1MB settings, and SDX is enabled in SIDE2 cart, MIDICar player properly detects available memory. Otherwise not.

Do you have U1MB ? Perhaps Pancio could help you with testing (he has an ATARI with U1MB).

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

Montezuma hat geschrieben:
10.10.2023 21:44
PeBe hat geschrieben:
The DEV version shows even less memory available (64KB)
Yes, it will show less when from the DEV version, the program requires extended memory, i.e. on 64KB it won't run - Sorry, progress has its victims too.

PeBe hat geschrieben:
MCP will not work with the AXLON memory extension
It has nothing to do with AXLON
I suppose it has nothing to do with AXLON. It's just an indication that MCP doesn't work with this type of memory extension in any release.

Memory detection issue is related to U1MB settings ( http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Ultimate1MB ). As I mentioned before - if SDX, PBI and HDD is disabled in U1MB settings, and SDX is enabled in SIDE2 cart, MIDICar player properly detects available memory. Otherwise not
Detection of extended memory is based on two ways:
- for computers without SDX by the way presented in Atariki ( http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Obs%C5 ... 4%99ci_RAM )
- and for SDX systems, where memory is detected by SDX routines.

So maybe I'll ask it in a different way.
Under SDX, with all optisions enabled, as shown by the `MEM /X` command.
Are there any free banks?
If not, the problem could be the RAM-DYSK being loaded during SDX startup.
On the other hand, if there are free banks, then the error is actually somewhere in the MCP program loader.

Do you have U1MB ? Perhaps Pancio could help you with testing (he has an ATARI with U1MB)
No. I do not own a U1MB. I can talk to @Pancio in terms of testing.

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

PeBe hat geschrieben:
10.10.2023 22:12
So maybe I'll ask it in a different way.
Under SDX, with all optisions enabled, as shown by the `MEM /X` command.
Are there any free banks?
If not, the problem could be the RAM-DYSK being loaded during SDX startup.
You are right - there are only 4 free banks available:
U1MB_SDX.jpg
U1MB_SDX.jpg (142.52 KiB) 2157 mal betrachtet
SDX manual says:
"If there is no custom CONFIG.SYS in the boot sequence, the standard setup from the
CAR: device will install one ramdisk as drive O: and build the directory structure on it."

and I don't have CONFIG.SYS

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

Here is a solution for other users who are not familiar with SDX (like me).
I assume that the first HDD partition (configured with FDISK) is D3.

Copy original CONFIG.SYS from CAR to D3:

D3:TYPE CAR:CONFIG.SYS >>CONFIG.SYS

Edit the file
D3:ED CONFIG.SYS

Delete the line:
DEVICE RAMDISK

In U1MB menu, change CONFIG.SYS configuration from default to D3.

Mathy

Beitrag von Mathy »

Hello guys

11.10.2023 09:31
It really sucks that MIDICar player is "SpartaDos only". This makes it a lot less interesting for me.

Sincerely

Mathy
Wer oder was hat denn da geblitzt?

PeBe

Beitrag von PeBe »

Mathy hat geschrieben:
11.10.2023 13:55
Hello guys
11.10.2023 09:31

It really sucks that MIDICar player is "SpartaDos only". This makes it a lot less interesting for me.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hey, but that's not fair. After all, I've posted here floppy disk images where MCP boots from under classic DOS (XDOS). How about instead of complaining that "it sucks because it's only for SDX", post how you'd like MCP to boot? How you'd like it to work?

Outline your vision. SDX is different, but it's like any other system. I'm not forcing anyone to use it, but I'm also not going to give in to those who don't want to use it - because they're blocking progress, and SDX is progressive.

So much for the topic.

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Wow...
I didn't realize that SDX is too bad :-)
But seriously... which one operating system is so flexible like SDX with best access, operational on files? Moreover... If Atari is using for playing MIDI files only, you cannot to use it for other things in the same time! Where the problem is?

In my opinion using SDX with MIDIcar Player is the best option. To do it, I'm using AVG cart with SDX car image and many 16MB partitions on the same SD card. If anyone is interested this approach I may prepare SD image.

Best Regards,
pancio
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

pancio hat geschrieben:
11.10.2023 15:52
If anyone is interested this approach I may prepare SD image.
Interested!

Mathy as a big fan od MyDos is a little bit fanatic, so don't worry too much :D
There is a learning curve before you get comfortable with SDX. I'm not yet there, but I like to learn new things.

In the meantime I copied a lot of midi stuff to my SDX partitions: over 3500 midi files (140MB). Do it with Atari Dos :lol:

It required some preparation on the PC side - I extended my NVC tool to trim the file names to 8.3 format:
https://github.com/TheMontezuma/NVC
and I used PCLINK.

PCLINK requires an SDX driver, which is available in SDX toolkit and RespeQt with PCLINK support, for example:
https://github.com/ebiguy/RespeQt/releases/tag/r4
It is an older version, but does not contain bugs introduced in the newer versions (which affect normal operation).

In RespeQt, you simply mount a folder.
It will still be visible as a virtual D: Atari disk with limitation to 64 files
and it will be additionally visible as PCL: device, which allows R/W access without file count limitations.
The only problem is that PCLINK assumes 8.3 file names (it was designed to handle SDX files transfer to PC and back),
but NVC processing does the job, so at the end you can copy the files to an SDX partition with only one command:

COPY /R PCL1: D5:
where PCL1 corresponds to a PC folder mounted as Disk 1
and D5 corresponds to the Atari disk D5 with mounted SDX partition.

more about PCLINK:
https://forums.atariage.com/topic/24842 ... nt-3506183

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

The looping mode can be changed with the 'L' key and is done sequentially:
- Single track,
- One track in loop,
- Entire list in loop (123)
- and Shuffle.
I'm probably doing something wrong, but in "shuffle" mode the Atari hangs after reaching the end of a MIDI file playback...

CharlieChaplin

Beitrag von CharlieChaplin »

One of the many advantages of the A8 is to have options instead of restrictions... e.g. options in colours (instead of a fixed 16 colour palette) and e.g. options in Disk Operating Systems (instead of a built-in DOS).

I don't think that MidiCar player is restricted to SDX only, but it would be good to show it working under:
a) several DOS II compatible versions (e.g. DOS 2.0, DOS 2.5, TurboDOS, X-DOS, MyDOS)
b) several DOS versions with SDFS (e.g. SDX, SpartaDOS 3.x, Real-DOS, Bewe-DOS)

My suggestion: Choose at least 2 versions from the DOS II camp and 2 versions from the SDFS camp to demonstrate the MidiCar player and how to configure it for that DOS (or how to configure DOS to make it work with MidiCar player). I am not a MyDOS fanatic, but if one wants to use 16MB images in DOS II format then MyDOS is almost the only way to go (think no-one really uses Top-DOS Prof.).

For floppydrive fans like me, Turbo-DOS and X-DOS can supply nice 180k and/or 360k disks and even ultraspeed if there is enough memory available. Same goes for SDFS, I am not a fan of SDX, but do prefer Bewe-DOS instead; while the Bewe-DOS formatter only supports 360k, one can easily setup a 16MB image with SpartaDOS or SDX, copy Bewe-DOS onto that image and make it bootable. And if using a floppydrive, then Bewe-DOS has a driver for XF-highspeed and if I remember correctly, I have also seen an ultraspeed driver for BeweDOS somewhere.

-----

(To tell the truth: I do not need to playback 3500 Midifiles on the A8, since I already have thousands of music and soundfiles in AMS, AMC, AMP, CMC, MPT, TMC, FC, SMP, DIG, MOD, MD8, NEO, RMT, MAS, BAS, TUR, COM/XEX, SID, SAP, WAV, PDM/PDS, COV/COS, ... format available - more than I can ever listen to in my whole life. Same goes for pictures and graphic files, there are many more pictures and graphics in my A8 collection than I can ever view or watch in my life. So limiting myself to a few dozen of 180k or 360k disks/images with Midi files is not a big problem for me.

Besides, I recently converted all my old radio music recordings from 1980-2005 into MP3 and there are now 2500 songs, if I convert all my commercial audio CD's into MP3 there are another 3000 or so songs and if I convert all the rock and pop LP's of my parents into MP3 this will add another 1000 or 2000 songs, so I guess that I already have quite a lot of music to listen to and do not need thousands of Midi files. Problem after all, I am hard-hearing / hearing-impaired and slowly getting deaf, so sooner or later I will not be able to listen to music anymore...)

Mathy

Beitrag von Mathy »

Hello PeBe

Please don't take it personally. As Marcin said, I like MyDOS. And I really do not like SpartaDOS. It's just not my thing.

Sincerely

Mathy

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

Hi Mathy,

I'm pretty sure that PeBe will prepare special MCP version for MyDOS if more that three people want to use it :-)

Open question: Is exist cartridge of MyDOS?

BR
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

pancio hat geschrieben:
12.10.2023 07:50
You can boot MyDos from IDE Plus 2.0 (made by Simius):

https://www.realdos.net/IDE%20Plus%202.0%20Rev%20D.html

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

MIDICar + MyIDE2
myide2.jpg

Mathy

Beitrag von Mathy »

Hello pancio

pancio hat geschrieben:
Is exist cartridge of MyDOS?
Yes. But it contains a modified version of MyDOS 4.53/3. You put it in the computer, boot the computer and then, while the computer is on, remove it from the computer. After that, the version of MyDOS running on the computer is just like the version of MyDOS 4.53/3 that is loaded from disk. Video61 sells them. This version of MyDOS has been patched by the same guy that wrote MyDOS 4.55.

Sincerely

Mathy

DjayBee

Beitrag von DjayBee »

12.10.2023 11:40
MIDICar + MyIDE2

myide2.jpg
I miss SDX and RTime-8 carts in the cart slot. :mrgreen:

pancio

Beitrag von pancio »

12.10.2023 08:06
pancio hat geschrieben:
You can boot MyDos from IDE Plus 2.0 (made by Simius):

https://www.realdos.net/IDE%20Plus%202.0%20Rev%20D.html

I've IDE Plus2.0F version (CF card) which is equipped with SDX... but I can try to use MyDOS. Is possible to start MyDOS directly from 16M partition?

BR,
pancio

A.B.B.U.C. Member #319

Montezuma

Beitrag von Montezuma »

Mathy hat geschrieben:
11.10.2023 13:55
Hello guys
Sincerely
Mathy
It works also with MyDOS :geek:
pancio hat geschrieben:
15.10.2023 17:14
I've IDE Plus2.0F version (CF card) which is equipped with SDX... but I can try to use MyDOS. Is possible to start MyDOS directly from 16M partition?
BR,
Yes, it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh-1D2aemD0

CharlieChaplin

12.10.2023 11:40
MIDICar + MyIDE2
kleine Korrektur: Das ist MIDICar (XE) + IDE+2

MyIDE II ist etwas anderes, ein IDE-Modul von Sijmen Schouten und Atarimax:
https://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/

CharlieChaplin

@Pancio:
Is there a newer / later version of the MidiCar player (MCP) in the meanwhile ? If so, where can I find it ? (And if on github, then please state exactly where, e.g. a direct download link, since I never find anything at github or sourceforge.)
Zuletzt geändert von CharlieChaplin am 29.10.2023 14:59, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Antworten